Monday, May 11, 2009

Margarita Cake

I get emails from the Betty Crocker Website every week or so with recipes; this month's recipe-theme was for Mother's day and there were a few cakes using margarita mix. That sounded exciting and perfect for my mom because she does not drink alcohol and is always sad when I make things that contain it; this recipe is completely non-alcoholic! All I had to buy was white cake mix, a lime, margarita mix, and whipped cream. Easy! I used the original mix, instead of strawberry flavored variety and ended up with a citrus-y light cake. Both my mom and my boyfriend's mom loved it.

Margarita Cake

1 box white cake mix
11/4 cups bottled nonalcoholic margarita mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
3 egg whites
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
Additional grated lime peel, if desired

1.Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with shortening and lightly flour (or spray bottom with baking spray with flour).

2.In large bowl, beat cake mix, margarita mix, oil, 1 tablespoon lime peel and the egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.

3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown and top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Frost with whipped topping; sprinkle with additional lime peel. Store covered in refrigerator.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 375°F. Decrease oil to 1/4 cup; use 4 egg whites.

* I used two 8inch pans instead of one 13 x 9, and baked them for 25 minutes.
* The original recipe calls for a pretzel crust, but I omitted that.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Strawberry Margarita Cakes on FoodistaStrawberry Margarita Cakes

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm... I love the sound of this cake! I would love to direct our Foodista readers to your blog. If that's okay with you, just add your choice of widget to this post and you're all set!

Chewy Waffles said...

Done and done! Thank you :)